Monday, February 9, 2009

Saying Good-Bye to Danny Boy










Last week was a very difficult one. Aaron and I were feeding the animals at my parents farm when I noticed something was wrong with Danny Boy. He always walked funny because of the hip deformation that he was born with. But this was something different. He looked much worse. He wasn't interested in eating grain which is very unusual. The next day I was really sick so my dad went and feed the animals. I called him to see how everyone was and he told me that Danny Boy didn't even move. This is not good. The next morning I feed the animals and saw that Danny Boy was stilling not very well. He was walking but very slowly and not very much. So I put him by the water and gave him some hay. I came back later that day to feed everyone and he wasn't walking anymore. So I knelt down in front of him and put his little head in my hands and said a prayer. I prayed that the Lord would have mercy on this little goat and take him home quickly. That he wouldn't suffer. I also prayed that his grandma Pearl would be there for him. She died this summer. I cried and petted his head and told him not to worry and that it was OK for him to go. I would take care of his mom and brother.

The next morning I feed the animals and was pleased to see that the Lord had compassion on even the smallest of goats. He looked peaceful and I was glad to know that he didn't need to hang around and suffer. As I picked him up to carry him out I let his mom Tess smell him and say good-bye. I then stood up and started to walk out. I couldn't leave without Kuzco, our guard llama, saying good-bye. He smelt him for a very long time and I told him it was OK. He didn't need to worry about Danny Boy anymore, he would be OK. He seemed to except that and went back to eating. I will miss your cute little face and the funny way you would try to run with all the other goats. Plus the cute way you would sit on your tail because it was comfortable for your hips. But I know that you are made whole now and can do all the things your body wouldn't let you due here. Take care my little Danny Boy.

1 comment: