Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hot Time in the Old Town


The other day I was eating breakfast on my couch and saw an ambulance and a fire truck go speeding by. I thought thought nothing of it and finished my breakfast and then headed off to the farm to feed the animals. My mom called and said that the road was blocked off right after our house. So I drove over to the farm and told the fireman that was blocking off the road that I was going to a house on this side of the road block. He let me go through and as I got closer to the farm I saw all the fire trucks and a few ambulances parked in the middle of the road. The house on the other side of the road was engulfed in flames and firefighters were all over the road. Smoke was pouring of the front windows as the firefighters where climbing up the latter to the roof to open up holes and let the smoke out. Mom and I sat in the front room window and watched it all. They fought the fire for about 2 and 1/2 hours before it was out. The house is still standing but it is nothing but an empty shell. I found out later that in was started but a clothes dryer that was on the front enclosed parch. Unfortunately, 3 bull dogs did not make it.

I was thinking about all the things that are lost in a fire like that. All the memories that where made in it, all the pictures from over the years and all the important documents like a marriage or birth certificates. Those are things that can't be replaced. You can always get another can opener or blender but it is impossible to get other more important things back. It made think what I would want to take on the way out(if I had the time). Of course I would want to get my husband and cats out but other then living things I'm not sure what I would take.

2 comments:

Fancy Nancy Chronicles said...

That's sad KT ... I hate fires.
Miss you all! Love to Mom and everyone! ~ Nanc

Karen said...

Wow...that's crazy!! Really sad about the bulldogs and all the memories that burned.